Re: FWD driver learning RWD???

To: <cdkshen@sunlink.net>
Subject: Re: FWD driver learning RWD???
From: "Pat Griffith" <slowse-r@gimail.af.mil>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 03:19:07 -0500
> Specifically, I have been driving a 00 Celica in ES and
> am considering a move to a 91 MR2 in CS.

I autocrossed a Sentra SE-R for about three years and
started autocrossing a 4th-gen Camaro this year. One of
the biggest things was learning to USE the throttle.  In
the Sentra, you'd go into a corner, wait for the back end
to come around then mash the gas.  If you got on the gas
too soon, you would push, push, push.  With the Camaro,
you can get on the gas sooner, and the car doesn't push
as much.  Not mashing the gas, just easing on the throttle
to get the rear wheels to spin a little bit.  Too much
wheelspin and it of course won't hook up. :)

My motto as I started learning RWD (still learning?) was
"use not abuse" the throttle.

There was of course getting used to driving a car that
is a foot wider, 1,000 pounds heavier and has twice as
much horsepower, but you shouldn't have to worry about
that going from a Celica to an NA Mr2. :)  But going
from front-engine to mid-engine is something you have
to get used to.

Hope this helps.

Pat
'93 Sentra SE-R, DSP/STS/STR/Track Toy