Re: FWD driver learning RWD???

To: autox@autox.team.net, awhittle@fastrans.net, whitneys@mindspring.com,
Subject: Re: FWD driver learning RWD???
From: Chris and Deb Shenefield <cdkshen@sunlink.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 10:41:40 -0400
Thanks for all your replies on this.  I thought I would summarize what
was said to me for others' benefit.  Distilled into the basic points
that were made:
1) "FWD teaches good habits that will transfer well to RWD"
    - Everyone agreed here - the good lines and throttle management that
FWD teaches you is important for driving RWD too.  Maybe the lines and
when to get on the throttle are a little different and that will take a
bit of getting used to.  On the other side of the coin, it was said that
RWD can teach bad habits, and the move from RWD to FWD can be the more
difficult one.

2) How to enter, apex, and exit a turn?
    - "Do all your braking in a straight line in a RWD car" - The
thinking is that it is important to do the braking first, then turn in,
then use the thottle to help the car rotate.  The idea being that
trail-braking a RWD car is not really the right thing to do.  People
will laugh at this, but I don't think I will fully appreciate this until
I actually try it.
    - "Use the throttle sooner in a corner" - This I completely
understand. FWD cars don't like you to use their throttle during
cornering.  I would image RWD cars love it!  (I could make a
inappropriate comment here, but I will refrain since children are
probably present.......something about erogenous zones....)
    - "Be gentle on the throttle" - This I also understand, but it was
said that RWD throttle control is more important that FWD throttle
control.  That is, the on-off-on scenario is not good in a RWD car but
you can get away with it in FWD.

3) "The transition from FWD to RWD is FUN!" - everyone who had an
opinion about this said it is a fun transition.  Most said it will take
some time.  I have time!  They all said go for it!

THANKS AGAIN for all your input.  I'll try to keep my spins to a
minimum!  :)
Sincerely,
Chris Shenefield
ES Celica? CS MR2? Would love a Boxter, but too much dough right now.