RE: Launch Performance (M3 vs Ponycar)

To: "'Ron Katona'" <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: RE: Launch Performance (M3 vs Ponycar)
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:20:45 -0700
>No, it doesn't have a better power/weight ratio. To achieve an
>_effective_ torque advantage, it uses steeper gears. That's a big
>difference. The compromise is that you have to make numerous shifts to
>keep the car near the torque peak. Very course dependent problem... a
>3.38 rear'd M3 won't do over 60 mph in 2nd.

Well for one, the M3 driver can do like Bob and bring 3 sets of rear end
gears to ProSolo/Nationals.

The ponycars have other sets of gears to do this too if they wanted, and
they have to weigh the trade-offs too. So I don't see how this lessens the
M3's power/weight advantage.

Perhaps a detailed list of gearings and RPM, MPH, torque bands (i.e. min and
max RPM for torque within 20% of peak) on the various major models of ESP
ponycars and M3s would be interesting. Though I don't suspect it's going to
change the overall conclusion that the M3 is NOT at a disadvantage in
power/weight.