RE: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy

To: "'Dave Whitworth'" <dave@wcsllc.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: M3 Out of ESP - No Longer a Controversy
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:15:52 -0700
>1)  If an unnamed number of ESP pony cars are staying away from National's
>because of the BMW's what does that prove.

That those people believe it is not worth their time/money to compete. You
can try to convince them otherwise, but the size of that communications
effort can be quite large.

>2)  ANY driver who finishes in the top 10 or so in ANY class at Nationals
>deserves it.

This is an absolute statement that can be easily disproved with a simple
absurdity:

Say we take a Ferrari (pick a model) and decide to class the stock version
of this car in HS.
There will be a small number (at least initially) of people who compete in
this car at the first National Championship due to it's cost (we could have
chosen some other equally fast car that doesn't cost much, but is similarly
hard to locate). The person driving that car could easily be fairly mediocre
and still finish in the Top 10.