Re: What's Spam?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's Spam?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:59:42 -0500

Glenn Duensing wrote:

> Okay what's Spam?

Many different things to different people.  As far as Team.Net is
concerned, commercial "spam" is defined here:

http://www.team.net/www/corp-use.html

(didn't I just post that a while ago?)

My opinionated answers to your questions follow.

> Is it when Regions tell about upcoming events?

Not really.  Though a 3-page dissertation on the details of the event is
generally thought to be excessive.  A simple "we're having this special
event next month, check our website or Email me privately for details"
would suffice.

> Is it when somebody ask about a product?

If someone ASKS about a product, by all means, answer.  I don't think
anyone would complain about this. (Rocky's occasional dissertation on tire
treatment is a good example)

> Or is it when somebody's signature has an ad?

As long as it meets common "standards" for a signature, this is fine.  I
believe Mark Bradakis has some suggestions for sig lines somewhere in the
list user info.

> Or is it when you advertise your business?

This is the one that is frowned upon by most people.  We don't read this
list for advertising.

> I would like to know because then I can feel better when I
> would like to announce specials instead of sending
> flyers to all of the Regions and hope that they put it
> where people will read it.

I would suggest you put up a website with all of your product info on it.
When you have specials, post the details there.  I don't think anyone would
object if you were to post here with a short "check out my new specials at
Duensing.com" every now and then. (not every day)

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca