Re: Max speed for an SL2

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Subject: Re: Max speed for an SL2
From: Ian McCloghrie <ian@codrus.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 16:45:54 -0800
On Nov 3, 2000 Loren Williams wrote:
> That's with an older SC2 and just me in the car (170 lbs).  It could be
> that the inherent extra weight of the SL2 (100 lbs?) and your own weight
> might be enough to limit the top speed.  Aerodynamic drag could have
> something to do with it.  Having (or not having) a fairly open intake and
> exhaust could have something to do with it.

Weight doesn't affect top speed, that's entirely dictated by aerodynamics
and the motor (well, and gearing).  The wind creates drag, a force pushing
backwards on the car, the motor produces torque, a force pushing forwards
on the car (via the drive wheels).  When the two are equal, you're at
top speed.  Weight (or more properly, mass) affects how quickly the car
gets to the that speed (F=MA), but not where the top speed lies.

Do the older and new Saturns have the same gear ratios?  If not, that
could well explain it.

--Ian