Re: F mod..... I can't believe I am even asking

To: "Larry R. Metz" <lrmetz@home.com>
Subject: Re: F mod..... I can't believe I am even asking
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 17:36:10 -0500
"Larry R. Metz" wrote:
> Mod car does require some mechanical skills, and regular time in
> the garage, that is at least one night a week during solo season,
> and many days over the winter preparing for the next year.

I strongly disagree.  I certainly don't spend one night a week in
the garage.  I suppose I *could*, if it's something I really
enjoyed, but I don't think it would necessarily make me more
competitive.  My car would be cleaner, though.

I do spend a half hour or so the night before each event ensuring
that the batteries are indeed charged, there does still seem to be
the proper amount of oil and water in the car, the car is clean
and ready to go, the tools are organized, etc.  But I think you'd
do that sort of thing in any category.

> Mod cars do not give you as much seat time as stock cars, that you
> drive on the street, thus may take many more events to adjust to
> the mod car.

I've never bought into the argument that driving a car on the
street helps in any way.  If you're driving anywhere near hard
enough to feel how it handles near the limit, I sure hope you
don't live near me.  The sorts of things you can learn driving on
the street apply to driving any car, not just your daily driver.

> (My humble opinion) Mod cars in bad weather are the pits!  Driving
> in the rain is not usually fun, especially in cold weather.

Standing around in a cold rain certainly isn't fun.  But *driving*
in the rain is definitely fun!  You certainly do get wetter in an
open-wheel car, no question about it.  But I think the driving
experience is also considerably more fun than in any other type of
car.

There are Real Race Car people who refuse to run in the rain
because it's such an effort to clean the car afterwards.  That's
certainly true, but it's no worse than how the car gets when
towing in the rain on an open trailer.  If you're the type that
likes to have your car clean enough to eat off of, you shouldn't
have an open-cockpit car.  If that sort of grime doesn't bother
you, you'll have more fun in the rain than anyone else.

I think Larry was right on the mark with his other points,
particularly the value of the long-term investment, ease of
trailering, etc.

Mark