Re: Building a SP-Legal Motor

To: <Jester097@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Building a SP-Legal Motor
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:19:46 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Jester097@aol.com <Jester097@aol.com>
To: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, November 23, 2000 12:53 PM
Subject: Building a SP-Legal Motor

>Ok, i've located a spare motor for my car, and i will be picking it up soon
>and tearing it down for rebuild shortly thereafter.  The car in question is
>92 Saturn Coupe, DOHC motor, currently 120,000 and everything is original
>inside.  The spare motor i'm picking up has 200K on it, ran when pulled,
but
>needs to be worked over to be good again, which is fine.  My plan is so
far:

>Slight machining on piston domes (not for lightening purposes)
>thermal dispersant ceramic coating (swain tech or similar) on piston domes,
>combustion chamber tops (on the head) and valve faces
>friction reducing ceramic coating (also swain tech or similar) on piston
>skirts
>3- or 5- angle valve job
>Stiffer Valve springs (factory springs from 98 heads were stiffer than the
>rest, they can be had at the dealership parts counter just like any other
>parts)
>
>What, if any, of this is legal?

Probably none of it.  The valve springs have to be stock for the motor you
are using.  If it is a 1992 motor, it ALL has to be a 1992 motor unless the
part you change is specifically noted as unrestricted in the rules (like an
intake manifold, for instance).  Sorry, valve springs are not unrestricted
in SP.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.