Re: Building a SP-Legal Motor

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Building a SP-Legal Motor
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:30:11 EST
Ryan writes:

> <<  New gaskets, seals, bearings, rings, timing chain kit (of course)  >>

Allowed

<<  > .040" on the block/.040" oversize pistons  >>

Shaving the block is only allowed if your factory (not Chilton, Haynes,
Clymer, etc.) service manual allows it as a normal service procedure, which I
seriously doubt it does.  You can go up to .0472" overbore in SP legally,
however.

<<  > .010" shave on the head  >>

Again, only if the service manual allows it.

<<>  micropolished crank (factory spec is .010")  >>

The crank had better be "stock."  I'm not sure what the ruling would be on
micropolishing, but all journal radii, etc. have to be as specified in the
manual.

<<  > port matched intake/exhaust manifold to the head and TB.  >>

Allowed.

<<   > rotating assembly blueprinted and balanced  >>

You may balance, but not lighten.

<<>  lightweight (7lb) flywheel
> stock clutch assembly (no good aftermarket kits out there for Saturns)
> ceramic coated exhaust header
> ceramic coated (thermal barrier) on intake manifold   >>

All allowed.

> <<  This stuff i know is legal - however, in keeping with the rules - i
> would
> also like to:
>
> Slight machining on piston domes (not for lightening purposes)  >>

Machining IS lightening.  Intent doesn't count.  I'm guessing you're doing
this for clearance purposes because of your head/block shaving, which tells
me that the factory manual probably DOESN'T allow it...

<<>  thermal dispersant ceramic coating (swain tech or similar) on piston
> domes,
> combustion chamber tops (on the head) and valve faces
> friction reducing ceramic coating (also swain tech or similar) on piston
> skirts
> 3- or 5- angle valve job
> Stiffer Valve springs (factory springs from 98 heads were stiffer than the
> rest, they can be had at the dealership parts counter just like any other
> parts)
>
> What, if any, of this is legal?  >>

None of it, unless the 3 or 5 angle valve job is specified in the manual.
the '98 springs are only legal in a completely '98 engine.