Re: What's wrong with this picture?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this picture?
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:14:48 -0500
Matt, the Supra has a Torsen. SM is not an extension of
Street Touring so the "no LSD" requirement doesn't
apply.  SM cars can have any differential that can be
bolted in.

Your contention that the 944T would be a very fast car
in SM trim is probably why there is some debate about
whether they should be allowed in SM at all.  IMO, a
fast Porsche may beat the current crop of cars in SM,
but SM is very early in it's evolution and the level of
competition will increase dramatically over the next
few years.  For example, an ESP (B/SP) M3
w/supercharger is legal in SM, as is as CSP Civic
w/turbocharger,  and a CSP RX3 with a turbo or even
twin turbos!

Kent Rafferty

> BTW, to everyone replying to this thread, please
correct the spelling in the
> header. :^)
>
> First, doesn't the Supra have a limited slip (Kent?)?
Second in stock form,
> a well driven 944 Turbo is a mid-pack A Stock car.
Stock being the key term
<www.rennlist.com>.
> Several people posted the cordial responses from
Howard, explaining the
> current thought process, in creating SM. He (HD)also
suggested in his posts
> that proponents for including P-cars, consider the SM
plus/prepared (I can't
> remember the name), classing and that might be the
place to play for tweaked
> 944 Turbos. When tweaked, 944 Ts will make Dennis
Grant and Kent Rafferty
> start searching for used '89 944 Turbos (comes with
sport chassis!) very
> quickly. They create very large reliable power. DG
and KR just haven't seen
> the light yet. :^)
>
> My own feeling is that the Supra is really on the
edge of classing in SM.
> The tweaked Hondas and DG's Diamond Star crew fit the
mold a little better.
> The only real problem with the Supra is being
overweight (hey, I'm
> overweight by 30 pounds, but that's a whole 'nother
story :^)  ), or it
> would have been competitive in SS (and now that the
Z06 is there. . . that's
> a thread unto itself, talk about class killer).
>
> If the Supra does have limited slip, how'd it get
into SM?