Re: 1967 MGB-GT

To: "James Laukaitis" <jim5@us.ibm.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1967 MGB-GT
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:25:15 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: James Laukaitis <jim5@us.ibm.com>
To: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Monday, March 12, 2001 10:14 AM
Subject: 1967 MGB-GT

>Ok, I need some input. A few weeks ago while talking over some great
>belgian beer with my friend about his MGB-GT that was sitting in his
>driveway. I said I want it, it was just sitting there becoming storage, and
>I could make it my autocross car. He said yeah right.]
>He called last night,
>and said, "I like your plan, lets make it happen, and arrange to get this
>car to you." I can also interpret from that sentence, "get it out of my
>driveway, my wife is flipping out it is still here."
>     Anyway, what I would like to know is is it worth making into an
>autocross car. I think so, but I want some feedback as well. I think in
>stock class (HS?) it would be a dog, fun, but a dog.

Doggy.  But if you DO do this, put on a monster front sway bar.  Trust me.
On an MGB, this will give you LESS understeer.  Remember that general
rules-of-thumb do not always work for all cars.

>Would it be better to
>go to a prepared or modified class to be a little more competitive? I got
>the latest Grassroots Motorsports and it has an article about getting more
>hp for your MG by changing the ignition, air flow, and some others. By
>putting a MSD ignition in an MG what class would it change to? Prepared or
>Modified?

Nope.  Street Prepared.

>changing an MG to tube shocks all around. Is
>that a prepared or modified change?

Street Prepared.

>Disc brakes all around?

Don't bother.  Not legal Street Prepared, and it won't do much for autocross
lap times.

>     Please let me any ideas you have

Go Street Prepared.  Crank the front camber negative with offset bushing.
Put monster sway bars on it.  Wide alloy wheels with sticky tires.  Hot
ignition.  Keep the SU carbs.  Don't lower it.  MGBs don't have good front
geometry when lowered unless you move the mounting points around.  Expensive
and puts you into Prepared, where the expensive engine work lives.

Watch out for weenies whining about which stock valve springs you have.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.