Re: Tweaked sway bar

To: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Tweaked sway bar
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:06:48 -0600
>My bet is jacking/unjacking is what did it.  I've been scared I'm going to
>break endlinks because if I jack up one side from the front, the rear goes
>up too because of the sway bar,

That's not a bug.  It's a feature!  I had serious Winners Circle sway bars
on the Spridget, and it saved a lot of jacking time for wheel rotations.  I
used to rotate the tires after every event.  About two pumps with the floor
jack brought both tires on one side up high enough to change.  Considerably
less than before the sway bars were installed.

About the alleged tendency to bend the sway bar by jacking the car:  I have
a hard time blaming that.  This thread started with the rear bar on a Neon,
right?  If the Neon lifts the rear wheel in cornering, and most FWD cars do,
there is just about as much strain on the bar in normal autocrossing as in
jacking to change tires.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.