Re: What's a good road racing car...

To: <Mr53CSP@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's a good road racing car...
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:56:16 -0600
my first choice would have been an RX7, however since you dont like those,
Toyota Supra, Nissan 300ZX, Nissan 240SX, Early Toyota Celicas, some 80's
Corollas (rwd). Isuzu Impulse 1 gen, the list is endless.
Bill Schmidt 84 RX7

>>> <Mr53CSP@aol.com> 03/12/01 10:18AM >>>
Currently, i have a '90 Honda CRX HF for the autocrossing duty and will be
running it every so often on a road track. I'm looking for a seperate road
racing car though (since alignment settings and suspension settings will be
different)...Here's my requirements (sorry if they are really specific):

1. No domestic vehicles. I like being the underdog.
2. Cost of the vehicle is less than $5K.
3. I'd prefer RWD, but, i could settle for FWD if all else fails. Definitely
no AWD (nothing against AWD).
4. No rx7s (i had one...)
5. parts should be somewhat cheap (including engines)
Overall, something inexpensive, looks somewhat modern, and relatively easy to
work on.

What I've had in mind was an older Corolla or Celica that was RWD. I'm sure
the engine can be replaced or rebuilt for pretty cheap. Parts on it could be
found in any junkyard.
A 240z would be a nice too, but, i think power would be a problem (i don't
know of too many strong 240z's).

then, i'm thinking about if i ever want to go professional...the Corolla or
240z won't be eligible models (in some of the venues i wish to enter in. (ie.
USTCC, NASA, etc)

So, I've toyed with the idea of an EG Civic (92-95) hatchback. They are
outrageously nimble and stay close to the CRX handling that i'm use to. Power
might be a problem in the straights though. Plus i have a lot of experience
working on them.

I haven't really looked in the direction of European cars...just because they
are quite costly and parts can be expensive. And i have very little knowledge
regarding them...

So, my question is...what other cars are out there that i'm just not looking
at that are excellent cars to work with?!

-Kam
Las Vegas Region
'90 CRX HF (53 CSP)
2K Maxima