Re: Nuther Tire Question

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Nuther Tire Question
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:24:36 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark J. Andy <marka@telerama.com>
To: Autox (E-mail) <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 1:20 PM

>Howdy,
>
>On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Kent Rafferty wrote:
>> I don't have my tires balanced for autocrossing.  I
>> will have them balanced if I'm gonna be using them
>> on the street or on a road course at some point.  I've
>> never experienced any ill-effects from not balancing my
>> tires and it cuts the cost of a tire mounting in half -
>> which adds up if you get tires mounted as often as I
>> do.
>
>I've never balanced an autox tire on any car I've had, with no problems
>whatsoever.
>
>_My_ reason is that I don't have a balancer in the garage and don't wanna
>drive 30 minutes to a buddy's garage... :-)
>
>Mark

What Kent said about cost is a valid point. Those tire stores charge way out
of what seems proportionate to stick a wheel on one of those spin balancers.

So I went into the ol' JC  Whitney catalogue and bought a little bubble
balancer for $69.99 and a box of stick-on wheel weights for $19.99 a few
years ago. I figure I've already paid for all that in what I've saved in
balancing charges, AND I have balanced wheels. What's more, they are
balanced to MY satisfaction. Some of those wheels were WAY unbalanced, but I
still have more than half a box of weights left.

--Rocky