Diesels You Can Buy (was Re: Tow Vehicle Question)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Diesels You Can Buy (was Re: Tow Vehicle Question)
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:06:41 -0500
My friend Paul Brown said:

>difference.  Ford does put diesels in Expeditions, though I don't know how
>far they are de-tuned from the real trucks.  Both Dodge and Ford de-tune
>theirs for automagic trannies (which mine has).  I understand Chevy has a
>transmission that's up to the torque of the Isuzu they are selling;  that
>would be quite a change from what they've done for the past 20 years, but
>it could be true.

Here's the deal:  Ford does NOT put a diesel in the Expedition, but does in
the gi-normous Excursion, which is based on the SuperDuty pickups.  It's
the now-familiar 7.3L PowerStrokegot the same power/torque ratings as in
the F250/350 pickups - 235 hp, 500 ft-lbs of torque (which is the real
kicker).  It's also available in non-intercooled form in the E250/350
Econoline van and Club Wagon, but I can't recall off the top of my head the
power/torque numbers.  You can get a 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic
(auto only in the Excursion) behind it.

The new 6.6L DURAMAX engine in the new GM pickups has 300 hp and 520 ft-lbs
of torque, comes standard with a 6-speed manual, but, for an additional
$2500 above and beyond the cost of the engine (which is itself around $5K),
you can get an Allison T1000 5-speed automatic transmission that is really,
really slick.  You can also get the Allison behind the 8.1L gas V8 engine,
again for about $2500.  I would expect this engine to become available in
the 2500-series Suburban/Yukon XLs before too much longer, if it hasn't
already crept onto the option list.  The Duramax/Allison combination is
probably the class of the field right now, although it does have an
advantage in that it's the newest -- Ford and Dodge will have new/updated
product Real Soon Now, I'd expect.

Dodge's 5.9L Cummins (near and dear to my heart, or at least my paycheck)
comes in two flavors, standard and high-output.  Standard is 195hp/420
ft-lbs and can be had with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic.
The HO has 245hp/470 ft-lbs and comes exclusively with a 6-speed automatic.
And no, I can't tell you what's coming, so don't even ask.

Hope this is of some use for those in the quest for tow vehicles.

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net