Re: Safety ?: Legal Tire Tread Depth

To: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Safety ?: Legal Tire Tread Depth
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:22:51 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Berryhill <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2001 11:48 AM

>As for the measureable tread depth, it says it has to be within the center
>1/2 of the tire.  My outside edges are worn pretty bad, so I'm sure I've
got
>some measureable tread in the center.

13.3.I - "each tire must have measureable tread depth" and 13.3.J goes into
some detail of what that means. IMHO, "measureable" means there is some
molded-in groove, sipe or measuring hole into which you can insert an
standard tire measuring tool and come up with some figure other than zero.
Not just that there is still rubber covering the cord. BTW, every time I've
had cord come up, it has been toward the outside, not the center (hmmmm,
underinflated?)

3.3.3.D says "Tires must be in good condition." It gives some examples of
what would not constitute good condition, but that is not necessarily
limiting. If I saw an essentially bald tire, even with no cracks or cord
showing, as a tech inspector I'd deem that tire not to be in good condition.
Then again, as we run on concrete here, we may be more sensitive to that.

BTW, you might get ONE run out of it before cord came up, maybe even a
second if the course is small or smooth. But you may well NOT get the entire
event. And don't argue that once teched the tire is legal for the event.
IMHO that does not hold when the "illegality" is a safety issue.

Brian, buy the new rubber. At the most optimistic you maybe have one small
local event left in your current tires! If that! Good luck!

--Rocky Entriken