Re: SM2 Stuff

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SM2 Stuff
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:14:36 -0500
"Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com> write:

> I do have to agree to PF's ROFL, in that the SM playing field is still
> unbalanced with the Supra Turbo permitted to run in SM, and the 944 turbo
> exiled to the regional only SM2. Just because it slipped through last
year
> doesn't mean that it should not or can't be corrected this year.

It didn't "slip through", it was done on purpose.

The Porsches are banned because they are "sorts cars" and so do not fit the
class demographic.

The Supra is NOT banned because it is a "Japanese Camaro", and because
there is no data that supports bumping the Supra from SM.

Here's the times from every single SM National event to date that had a
Supra in the field. Times given are fastest Supra, fastest non-Supra, and
ESP winner:

Ft Myers 2000
Kent Rafferty (Supra)    73.009
Dennis Grant  (Talon)    73.053
Peter Varga (ESP Winner) 73.663

Peru Pro 2000
Kent Rafferty (Supra)    73.395
Dennis Grant  (Talon)    74.276
Bob Tunnell (ESP Winner) 71.186

Virginia Pro 2000
Kent Rafferty (Supra)         56.018
Dennis Grant (Talon)          56.060
Fedja Jeleskovic (ESP Winner) 54.991

Harrisburg Pro 2000
Karl Witt (Camaro)      58.536
Kent Rafferty (Supra)   58.803
Sam Strano (ESP Winner) 57.725

Pro Finale 2000
Kent Rafferty (Supra)    60.600
Navid Kahangi (M3)       60.712
Bob Tunnell (ESP Winner) 58.764

Peru Tour 2000
Kent Rafferty (Supra)         85.978
Dennis Grant (Talon)          87.912
Marcus Meredeth  (ESP Winner) 86.801

Nationals 2000
Kent Rafferty (Supra)    108.066
Karl Witt (Camaro)       109.488
Bob Tunnell (ESP Winner) 104.964 *condition differences? I hope?

Meridian Tour 2001
Dennis Grant (Talon) 100.532
Eric Hyman   (Supra) 101.242
SM ran 1st heat in wet Sun, so no ESP comparsion

Now there's LOTS of conclusions you can draw from this data (some are
misleading from the summaries, you have to look at the individual times to
understand what was really going on in some instances - for instance, I
seem to hit a lot of cones in Peru for some reason) but Supra domination is
not one of them.

DG