Re: SM2 Stuff (long)

To: autox@autox.team.net, solo2atlanta@topica.com, bspvette@topica.com,
Subject: Re: SM2 Stuff (long)
From: Benjamin D Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:04:05 +0000
OK, all, it is time for ol' Ben to put his big toe into the raging waters
again (I'll never learn).

Last year, here in Atlanta, we added the national rules SM to our roster
of classes along with STS. STS took off like a rocket with 15-20 entries
per event. SM chugged along with 1 or 2 entrants per event until the last
third of the season when interest started to pick up.

We've started 2001 with STS about the same and now SM hitting about 10
entrants, up drastically. Definitely the interest is there.

We adopted a wide-open OSP class several years ago and it has always been
pretty well subscribed. Now, OSP is heavily populated by cars that would
easily slip into SM2/SMS parameters. Last year's winner is driving a
supercharged Miata, second place went to a 383 engined Corvette.

Right now, we will stay with OSP as the place for SM2/SMS cars to play,
let our drivers know about the interest, nationally, in this class so
they can build their cars towards those goals. Hopefully, next year
SM2/SMS will be adopted for Pros and ultimately as a national class.

There is simply so much interest on the part of drivers to do stuff to
their cars that fit right in with this class. SCCA taking the traditional
stance of forcing drivers to build cars to fit their idea of a class for
street driven cars is outmoded and out of touch. Obviously, STS, STR and
SM has been successful in spite of the naysayers nit picking about "too
many classes."

As a BSP C4 Corvette guy, I can see another direction I can go, should
the Z06 Corvettes start dominating BSP. In SM2/SMS I would be able to go
to coil-over suspension, lighten the car, further, with a light hood, put
on monster aftermarket brakes and do ALL SORTS of stuff to the motor and
tranny that isn't legal in BSP. I really don't want to go to BP, but
rather still be able to drive my car on the street.

It's so much fun to see the theories flying around about what would be
the hot setup in this class. Having a widely diverse class with lots of
engineering going on would be an essential part of this class's success.
Sort of the hot rod class of SCCA for sports cars. I think Steve Johnson
would understand the appeal of this class.

Would somebody be able to "buy" a national championship in this class?
Sure. Would the cost of top level competition escalate? Undoubtedly. But
it will be fun to see some really big buck efforts whipped on by
well-driven, well engineered low buck efforts, too.

Right now we have a situation where successful stock class drivers check
out the latest hot car setup for every season, and many switch cars every
year. That isn't expensive?

Street Prepared drivers have a longer time frame to drive a car because
of the update/backdate issue and other rules that help to equalize stuff.
But the dollars invested can be very steep here, too. Street Prepared
also suffers from not really being a "Street" class at all because
emissions equipment can be deleted and the cars don't have to be
registered for the street.

Serious Prepared efforts are limited to pure race cars totally unsuited
for street duty. Ditto for D and E Modified.

SM2/SMS gives the real sports car nut the opportunity to build his/her
chosen ride the way he/she wants, still have a legal place to race AND
still be able to drive it on the street. THAT is a winner for our drivers
AND a winner for SCCA. Let's do it. Where do I sign the petition?

Ben Thatcher
Atlanta Region SCCA, Solo2 Co-Chair
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA