Re: big problem - 92 civic

To: "Chuck Mathews" <lesser_of2evils@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: big problem - 92 civic
From: Jim Wilson <jim@jamesdwilson.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 23:29:28 -0400
As the doctor says - what are the symptoms? Does the engine turn over
but not fire? If you pull the oil filler cap off of the valve cover and
look inside
when somebody turns the engine over do you see the cam(s) and valves
moving? - if not you broke the timing belt. If they turn over it is possible
the belt jumped a notch and the car still wont start.
  How many miles does the car have on it? Hondas
have had problems with igniters - the one on my CRX died once years ago.
Is the battery ok? Has the car been exhibiting anything else weird the
last few weeks before it died - lights fading out - gauges going wacky -
if so the alternator might have been going dead and you were slowly
running down the battery as the alternator couldnt keep it charged.
Just a couple of things to check before you spend any more money.

Personally I had bad experiences with mechanics as a kid with my
first car - gave me real incentive to learn everything I could and now
none of my cars go into the shop for anything except warranty repairs.

Jim Wilson
90 CRX Si