big problem - 92 civic

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: big problem - 92 civic
From: "Chuck Mathews" <lesser_of2evils@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 22:27:27 -0500
Hi, guys. I am sending out an SOS. My '92 Honda Civic is dead. I am trying to
revive her. My local mechanic (whom my entire family has been using and
trusting for years) was just found to be ripping me off. He told me that a
part was probably bad (the ICM -- aka ignitor) but that it could also be the
ECU or ECM. He was going to charge me $200 for the ignitor. This is more than
a 100% markup over the Honda dealership's retail price. So, I was mad and told
them that I would do the repair myself. I just got the part installed, but the
car still wouldn't run. Then, while looking through my Haynes manual I found a
simple test for the ICM (an ohm meter test). The ICM was fine. They lied, I am
mad at them. But worst of all, now all I know is that I don't have a spark and
the ICM, coil, and distributor berrings are fine. Wires are fine. Plugs are
fine. I need some help on this one.

Also, because I have had distributor and coil problems in the past, I am
considering looking at aftermarket ignition systems. If I determine that the
computer is bad, I might also consider an aftermarket computer, too. However,
I need some suggetions on which ones and where to get them.

Thanks gang.

Chuck Mathews