Re: MR2 Spyder, specifically 6.6" wheels

To: Travis Lane <tlane@boom.net>
Subject: Re: MR2 Spyder, specifically 6.6" wheels
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 11:37:09 -0400
Travis Lane wrote:
> Also, the MR2 comes with 15x6.6 (yep, that's six-point-six) inch wide
> wheels in the back and I'd like to find legal, lighter aftermarket
> wheels, but the 6.6 may make that difficult.
> Can anyone tell me if, say, 6.5" would be legal, or shall I start my
> letter to HQ?

If the spec is in metric but works out to 6.6", then 6.5" would be
legal.  If the spec is actually 6.6", then I think you're not allowed to
change it.

Maybe I'll write a letter (again) suggesting that in Stock category,
OE wheels should be required.  That would solve this one (and almost
every other wheel issue in Stock).

And before anyone says anything, it doesn't cost more -- your car came
with OE wheels.  Put the competition tires on those, and buy something
nice for the street.

It only costs more if you want two sets for competition tires, and the
OE wheels cost more than the super-lightweight aftermarket wheels, or if
you bought a used car that didn't come with OE wheels.

Mark