Re: Miata help...

To: "!Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata help...
From: "Will Kalman" <will@kalman.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:42:21 -0700
My '91 Escort GT has the same engine as the 1.8 Miatas and, indeed, water in
the plug holes can act very strange.  I've had the car drive just fine for
20 miles then start sputtering because of water in the plug holes.

Let the engine get to operating temp, shut it off, pull the wires and stuff
a rag into each hole, using a screwdriver to get it down around the plugs.
Once things have cooled a bit and you're reasonably sure there isn't much
water in there, pull the plugs and let everything evaporate for a while.  I
also have the Magnecor wires and I think they are of superior materials and
construction to just about anything out there.  They may be twice the price
of OEM wires, but they'll probably last the life of the car.

Check the spark plug holes (and the plug threads when you pull them) for
oil, the valve covers on 1.8L Escorts tend to leak oil into the holes and
I'd suspect the Miata cover is similar.  Replace the gasket as necessary.

One other thing, check the coolant temp sensor, it's possible it thinks the
engine is cold and richening the mixture when it's actually warmed up.

This is my experience with 217,000 miles on the engine which was recently
rebuilt and ready for another 11 years.

Will Kalman
'91 Escort GT
CSCC #232 STS