Saturn set up questions

To: autox@autox.team.net, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Saturn set up questions
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:08:49 -0400
Sorry for the cross post.  This is for a friend of mine not on the list,
I'm not buying a Saturn... :)

I have a friend with a '96 Saturn SL2 running 205/50R15 Kumhos.  He has
recently started running the R-tires, and is getting some conflicting info
on alignment settings and tire wear.  He is concerned about both street and
autocross tire wear, and would like settings to maximize autocross tire
life while preserving street tire life.

The alignment shop told him that any changes to the stock settings would
result in horrible street wear, so he currently has stock settings.  I
don't believe them, but I drive a Camaro and have no clue about Saturns so
I thought I would ask some people who have some experience.  Another FWD
driver at the last event looked at his tires and said he would wear them
out very quickly, and he is concerned about that considering he currently
has about 10 runs on the tires.  I know I have gotten more than 100 from
the set on my Camaro, and I thought that was normal.

His driving style is quite smooth.  He already regularly wins PAX at local
events, I don't even know if I should help him make his car faster. :)

So my questions are:
o How many runs should you get from Kumhos on Saturns?
o What are good alignment settings for Saturns?
o What tire pressures are appropriate?
o When should the tires be flipped inside out?
o Any other set up info for Saturns will be appreciated.

Please reply to me directly.  I am on the digest and it will make it easier
to forward responses to him.  Thank you.

-Matt