Re: Formula Jr Karts

To: apozner@ptd.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Formula Jr Karts
From: "Brad Holliday" <bradholliday@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:20:07
Learning to drive is awesome!  I wish I would have been able to participate
at 8 (I might be a little better at it now!).  But you're right, having fun
and learning are the most important aspects, and I think we should promote
that (adults included).

However, kids are competitive just like we are, and you still have a trophy
cermony at the end where some kids will get a plaque...and some won't.  If
the kids that get the plaque have karts with 30 hp or even 16 and the kids
that don't have karts with 5hp, what do you tell the kids that didn't get
the trophy?  You can't honestly tell them to practice and try harder and
they'll get one.  The only honest thing you can tell them is to just have
fun and wait until they're old enough to have that type of kart.  Granted,
it is possible for skill to make up a lot of the gap, but I doubt any of the
driver's in HS (or even BM) would be happy about being thown into AM this
year at Nationals.  I'm just proposing that we consider subclassing them or
paxing them to make the competition fair...since it is set up as a
competition (with trophies going to the fastest drivers).

A private response suggested we give them all trophies, and I think that
would be great, even if you do subclass or pax the Jr's.

Brad