Formula Jr Karts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Formula Jr Karts
From: "Brad Holliday" <bradholliday@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:46:14
I've bought my 8 yr old son a kart that will be prepared per KART Junior
(8-11 yr) rules (80 cc Comer K-80 (2 cycle, 5-7hp), cadet frame, 225 lbs)
Looking at the NT results, it looks like he would be competeing against all
other junior classes at a Solo II, including 60cc/80cc shifters (which are
much, much faster).  Does anybody know if the SCCA has considered splitting
the kids up into subclasses or paxing the different levels?  I'm not
complaining about the current system (since I'm very happy to just be able
to introduce him to Solo this early), but it does seem unfair.  Especially,
since he has no recourse to become competitive, since 8 yr olds are not
allowed (I don't think) to use a 80cc shifter (not that I would let him if
he could!).  Anyway, just curious if anybody else has thought about this?

Brad Holliday