Junior Karts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Junior Karts
From: "Peter Mottaz" <mph_16@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:23:19 +0000
Mark,

You are right and I've floated several proposals at the beginning of this
season to Howard regarding having the Jr kart class split into several
classes delineated by age and type of kart(essentially patterned off of the
classing we have here in the SF region). After the Pro at Wendover we will
have to add weight to that delineation as well. Altitude made such a
difference that all the younger siblings there beat their older siblings and
the smaller kids got the best times. We weighed all the Juniors at the end
so Howard could get some baseline data with which to come up with some kind
of minimum weight rules for next year(there were delta's of up to 100 lbs.
between some of the kid/kart combined weights) Unfortunately or fortunately
(depending on ones point of view) the casual days of Formula Junior are
over. There are just too many classes in WKA and IKF to just allow the whole
spectrum of karts to compete in one junior class.
The price of success? - IMHO you bet!! The more kids, the better. They are
having a great time. But now we need to level the field a bit so as not to
dampen their spirits.

Pete Mottaz