Junior Karts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Junior Karts
From: "Brad Holliday" <bradholliday@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 02:38:08
Pete,

I'm surprised the younger kids were able to go faster.  The kart race
results I have seen have shown the opposite.  I'm wondering if the engines
on the youger kids karts were properly derated?  Maybe they were driving
karts prepared to older kid or adult standards?  I've read that the type of
exhaust varies the power on the Yamaha KT-100 from 7 to 16 hp.

I'm not surprised siblings beat each other, if they were sharing a kart,
since, unless they weight the same or the ballast weight was changed for
each child, one of them was under or over the minimum weight for the kart
class they are set up too.  I'm sure 20 or 30 lbs makes a lot of diffence on
a 225 to 300 lb kart.

Brad