Formula Junior Karts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Formula Junior Karts
From: "Brad Holliday" <bradholliday@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:59:19
>That's what I thought too, except I was talking to Guy Ankeny (sp?) at >the
>NorPac divisional and he told me that his son's 80cc shifter was ?>legal.
>Apparently the rules say something like "any kart that meets ?>the specs of
>a sactioning body for 14 year olds and under" or >something like that?  I
>guess the 80cc shifters are legal for 13-15 in >one of the major
>sanctioning bodies?

SKUSA has a junior class for 60cc shifters (9-13) and one for 80cc shifters
(13-15)

>MHO, but its become time to call out specific kart types for Formula >Jr.
>If you can handle an 80cc shifter, you can handle a 125cc shifter.

I think it would be great if Jr. Kart was a paxed class with six categories
(each with it's own index):

60cc shifter (9-13 per SKUSA)
80cc shifter (13-15 per SKUSA)
2-cycle (8-11)
2-cycle (12-15)
4-cycle (8-11)
4-cycle (12-15)

For the 2 and 4 cycle classes we could take class names from the IKF, WKA,
KART (and any others) and put them in the rulebook like we do for different
types of cars.  This type of system would allow families to be involved in
both kart racing and Solo II, without having to change the kart for each.
Additionally, it would not add another class, although there would be some
added complexity in the timing program.

Brad