RE: Two way radios

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Two way radios
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:53:29 -0500
>>From: Hottvr@aol.com <Hottvr@aol.com>
>>I'm thinking about buying a couple of two-way radios. I'm thinking of
>>buying
>>two
>>Motorola "Talk about distance" models. They claim to have a five mile
>>range?

> From:  Rocky Entriken (with similar comments by others)
> The generic name is FRS Radio (Family Radio Service). Wife and I have a
> couple of the Talkabouts. The federally established FRS range is
> supposed to
> be two miles

There are TWO types of radios that are in the same frequency range.  FRS and
a higher powered version that uses a "send in the paper" license.

I have never used the high powered version but have looked at info on the
internet.
It appears that there are additional channels that can be used by the high
powered radios (with the 5 mile range) but the radios can lower their power
and also use the full set of FRS channels.