RE: Two way radios

To: "Team. net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Two way radios
From: "Alex Quirk" <vquirk@penn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:49:30 -0400
>Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:20:13 EDT
>From: Hottvr@aol.com
>Subject: Two way radios
>
>I'm thinking about buying a couple of two-way radios. I'm thinking of buying
>two
>Motorola "Talk about distance" models. They claim to have a five mile range?
>Has anyone ever used these? I'm going to be using them for skiing not Autox.
>I need a radio that puts out enough power to go around things. Anyone have
>any ideas?? Its 100 degrees here and all I can think about is skiing.
>
>Mike B. 99cm

Mike,

The DISTANCE version of the Motorola Talk-About...is a higher
powered..GMRS(General Mobile Radio Service) radio that requires an FCC
application for a license(and an $85 fee for 5 years..see
http://home.gwi.net/~bgore/gmrsapp.html ) and most feature about 2 Watts to 5
Watts output which will give about 1 mile per watt..of range (rule of
thumb)...unless there are giant mountains in between.

The UHF (460 Mhz) band radios operate in frequencies intertwined with the
Family Radio Service (FRS) radios, but there licensed use allows more latitude
in operation including externally mounted antennae, more power    and other
options that allow even more range (the FRS units are required by the FCC to
be built with a non-removable antenna and no means of connecting an external
one). From high mountaintop to high mountaintop you may even be able to
operate 20-25 miles and sometimes that much ALSO with the lower power (1/2
Watt max.) FRS units. They generally operate  roughly line-of-sight and any
obstructions in that line will greatly decrease range. The one interesting
feature of the UHF band is its capability to find any small opening in a steel
building and get through when lower frequency bands (27 MhzCB, Low
band..Police and Fire freqs.) cannot.

Drove through Louisville yesterday in 95 degree heat with no AC autocross
car...Know what you MEAN!!!

Hope this helps!

Alex Quirk   TeamLaughingStock #2
vquirk@penn.com  N3WRJ Amateur Radio License
"Enjoy what you drive and DRIVE IT WELL!!!"