RE: looking for mr goodwrench

To: "'rick'" <mudfly@nycap.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: looking for mr goodwrench
From: "Greg Smith" <mr_beachcomber@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:30:50 -0400
> My 1986 GMC Van 4.3L V-6 161,000 miles(The one I usually haul
> my kart in)has suddenly lost about 25# of oil pressure.reads
> "0" at idle and just above 10 psi at highway speed. Oil
> wasn't low, No noises, no lifter clatter, engine temp is
> normal, I'm going to do a pressure check to check the oil
> pressure sending unit.  A couple places I went looking for
> info, mentioned cleaning the oil pickup screen, I'm wondering
> if I can hit the pickup screen with carb cleaner from the
> drain hole? I just changed oil a week ago, Is it possible
> something could be up with the filter?? Any other ideas??

Rick,

If your filter were clogged up, the by-pass valve in the oil filter
adapter would allow oil to by-pass filter and go to oil galleries.  This
isn't the case because your oil pressure is too low.  Although you might
be able to hit the pick-up screen from the oil drain hole, whatever
clogged it up would still be in the pan ready to clog it up again.

Possible causes:  Best case - oil pressure sender is shot.  Worse cases
- oil pick-up tube & screen separated from the pump; blockage of pick-up
screen (cannot be cleared w/o dropping the oil pan; oil pump pressure
by-pass spring stuck open; or oil pump gears worn out and sheared off
inside the pump (rare, gears normally still provide 20 psi when worn
out); or pick-up screen fell off and sucked up debris now partially
blocking oiling passage.

Don't drive your van anymore!!!  If your oil pressure is that low that
you may have already wiped all your bearings.  I wouldn't even chance
checking the oil pressure sending unit on your van.  Remove it and test
it on another vehicle.  If it's good, your engine needs to be
disassembled and inspected/rebuilt.

Greg Smith
'89 BSP Corvette