RE: How many pieces would the NASCAR driver be in?

To: "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How many pieces would the NASCAR driver be in?
From: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:46:28 -0700

I think they are working on a solution to this.  Isn't that what the "Humpty
Bumper" is?  (Not sure if that's quite the right name).  Basically the
incorporation of replaceable crush zones on the front and rear of the car in
order to absorb impacts?

Due to the layout of the car, I don't think you could have an effective
crush zone on the left side, but the right could probably be improved.

> The only problem that might result from that, is that you get the
> same intolerance for 'rubbing' that open-wheeled cars have, which
> results in more yard sales......

Probably not.  Like a bumper and crush zones on a street car, it could be
made to take a moderate impact without damage, but start to work under a
heavier impact.  Deformation during "rubbing" would probably degrade it's
effectiveness towards the end of a race, and would be undesirable.

The reason open-wheel cars are intolerant of rubbing is more because the if
the sticky faces of the tires touch, they are moving in different directions
at high speeds.  This usually results in picking the rearmost car off the
ground - never a good thing.  Throw in the aerodynamic effects, and it can
get really bad.  Even if tires don't touch, it's easy to rip off wings, and
the sudden loss of downforce will be ugly...

> It might reduce it's attractiveness to the average fan, but it
> beats dying.

I can't argue with that!  :)

- Michael McAvoy