Rennsport Reunion at Lime Rock Update

To: Teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>, NER <ner@ner.org>,
Subject: Rennsport Reunion at Lime Rock Update
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:23:28 -0400
Here's a good one from the 968 list. Makes me wish I could have been there
longer.

Matt Murray

mattm@optonline.net

Subject: re: Rennsport Reunion at Lime Rock Update
From: "Ron Salvador" <salvador@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 02:18:29 -0400

Just thought I'd pass this along, from the 911 list.  The event was great.
I almost had tears in my eyes when I got to the porsche parking area and saw
the sea of porsches on the hill, overlooking the front straight/paddock
area.

Also:
- I was TOTALLY floored by the number of people that were there.  And that's
with very little advertising (a subject that came up with some foks I ran
into).
- that 959 mentioned below was a white 959 w/ white rims, essentially brand
new.  It still had the original RE71's on it.  Matt murray posted it only
had 84 miles on it.  There were lots of people ogling/drooling over it,
despite being in an out-of-the-way section.
- LRP was much easier to enjoy than the 50/50 at WGI.  I think WGI is the
best track in the country, but it is BIG and you need a car to go see most
corners;  and, people are scattered all over.  At LRP, the area was much
more manageable and central, making (for us) a fun atmosphere.  However,
this is from my perspective as a spectator, and the club racers might have a
different opinion.
- The cars were incredible.  Way more historically significant cars than
what was at WGI's 50/50 celebration in 1998.
- Some teams complained about the crowd, so it was announced on the speakers
several times that while teams don't mind people milling about, please don't
touch the cars!
- In the porsche corral, hard to miss the banana yellow 911 previously owned
by mike valentine.
- The volunteers herding the porsches into the corral, most notably those
standing at LRP's main entrance with a small (too small) sign directing
people to the porsche corral entrance, did a great (and thankless) job.

ron salvador
92 968 coupe

From: "Bill Gregory" <sansho@rennlist.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:44:39 -0400

Report from the front lines: Rennsport Reunion at Lime Rock, Connecticut:

Today (Thursday) was for the racers only, they had 3 or 4 warmup sessions
per the three run groups throughout the day - no racing today. It rained
pretty steadily until around lunch time, then finally quit around 2-3 pm.

And what about the Porsche's here? You absolutely wouldn't believe it. If
someone told me every 962 made was here, I'd believe them. Rothman's
sponsored how many 956/962's? Well, they're all here! There are a bunch of
956's too. The factory brought a GT1 evo, a silver street GT1, the Sunoco
Donohue 917/30, and several more.  Norbert Singer and Alwin Springer have
been around the paddocks, and were in a Brumo's tech session tonight,
along with Brian Redman, and the head of the Porsche Musueum. There are a
bunch of other 917's here - surprisingly there are no Gulf/Wyer 917's.
There are scads of 904's, 908's, and several 910's. Quite a few 911RS's,
934's and 935's - both factory and Kremer. Brumo's brought 6-8 of their
classics with them, including the #59 935 that was recently written up in
Road and Track. Gunnar has several Porsches's here, as does Stoddards, and
others. There's a bunch of 356's of all types to round things out. No,
actually the two red Porsche tractors round things out.

The racers are looking forward to the racing, as these days are in the
dozen plus racing days a year where the muffler limits are lifted. There
are some awfully strange contraptions hanging off the back of several of
the racers to meet the 89 decibel limit today.

They're expecting 15,000 plus people to visit. It's awesome. I ran into
John Dunkle today, and one of the tasks Brian Redman has asked him and
other volunteers to do tomorrow is to coordinate the the flow of visitors
and their Porsches into the Porsche parking corral, by model! They'll be
overlooking the paddocks - should be an amazing sight in itself.

Weather is supposed to be clear and in the mid to upper 70's tomorrow, and
a little warmer on Saturday. Sunday is, I believe, a concours. This is
clearly an event, if there's any way to get here, not to miss.

Friday update......

More transporters arrived last night and this morning, and they just kept
unloading and unloading. A blue Gulf 917 finally showed up, as did the
winning 1970 Salzburg 917. They did take a picture of all the 956/962's
line up - similar to one taken at Monterey - there were maybe 20 plus.
Aside from all the Rothman's, the all gold Miller Beer 962 showed up too.
There were 2 917's including the L&M one, and they were both well driven
today. There were also two 917/30's and they were scooting around the
track too. Norbert Singer drove the Porsche Formula One car, and both the
GT1 Evo and Street versions were tracked today. I'm told someone also had
a 959 street version in one of the trailers.

One exciting moment was when Derek Bell in the #14 Rothmans 956 or 962
rounded Big Bend, the rear end got squirly, and the right rear tire went
bounding forward, missed the corner workers and almost bounced over the
fence. Of course he spun immediately, onto the grass with no contact. The
Gunnar Racing support people went out to it after the run, jacked it up,
put another wheel on, put a new center nut on, and Derek drove it back in.
I suspect there were some stern discussions with the Gunnar Racing crew
later about tightening wheel nuts.....

Tomorrow is qualifying in the morning, and racing in the afternoon.

Saturday Rennsport Reunion update:

Expected attendance today was 21,000 - someone said this was the largest
attended event in Lime Rock history. This morning was qualifying and this
afternoon the races. There was a strong nostalgia in watching one group of
956's, 962's, and 935's running sub-minute laps around Lime Rock - it was
mesmurizing. Another group had 3 or 4 IROC 911's, with 911RS's, 934's,
908's, and others. Brian Redman was fiendishly quick in that group.

There was one accident where a 911 spun entering the esses, and with
nowhere to go Hurley Haywood in a Brumos 914 nailed the 911, stopping that
race to pull fiberglass bumper parts off the track.

In talking to several people who attended both the Monterey event several
years ago and this one, the consensus was that they close to equal,
perhaps tilted a bit towards this event.

If you haven't been to the event yet, tomorrow is the concours, and with
so many historical racing Porsche's present, park the kids and make your
way to Lime Rock. More than one person agreed the event has been simply
astounding.