Re: Umbrellas

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>,
Subject: Re: Umbrellas
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:01:15 -0500
From: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>

>That doesn't say "stop" to me. It says "slow down."

There is no "slow down" in autocross.  This ain't a road race.  If you slow
down, your run is trashed, so you might as well stop.  A worker will signal
you when to start you half-speed cruise in with your hand up for your rerun.

>Color blind? On a solo II course the only flag out there is a red one. If
>all I can see is black and white and I see a flag, it's red.

I'm not really particular what color hands are signaling me.

>Several people rushing at you? Where are all these people coming from

They are workers.  They are working the course to chase pylons and signal
penalties.

>and how did they all get instruction to go rushing at you.

Unlike the SCCA, not all clubs tell their members they need an INSTRUCTION
to stop an event if something is wrong.  We err on the side of safety.  Any
worker can stop the event at any time.

>More likely, one or
>two workers connected to "central" by a radio,

We find it a lot simpler, and damn site faster, to give that authority to
every worker.  What if he's wrong?  We pick up an extra rerun.  It doesn't
happen much.  What if he's right?  He's a hell of a lot faster than some
Official Central Control with a radio.  This ain't road racing.  Things
happen faster in a smaller area.  The consequences of stopping the event are
minor.

>AND told to stay out of the
>way of that car, not get in front of it to do the hand jive.

Don't get the idea that people are leaping onto the hoods of speeding cars.
When all the workers start signaling, you stop.  No fuss, no bother, cruise
around and get your rerun.  It's worked for about four decades, Rocky.  It's
really not that complicated.

>Umbrella. Sure. why not? I have. Not just for rain, but sometimes for sun
>too. But if I have to go chase a cone, the brolly is dropped back at the
>(OFF COURSE) worker station, not carried. I may need both hands to do the
>cone(s).

Well said.  Workers in positions to chase cones don't have umbrellas,
cameras, beach chairs or the like.  One worker of a pair, the one that's not
going to run, can hold an umbrella (of any color) if it's raining.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher