RE: $2002 Challenge - not really

To: "'Alan Pozner'" <apozner@ptd.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: $2002 Challenge - not really
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:31:57 -0600
-----Original Message-----
While I love GRM and the $2002 challenge is a great idea, I can't help but
think that there is no such thing as a running Supercharged BMW 2002 that
would be for sale for $2002. Without a claiming clause in the rules what you
have is a contest for people who enjoy fudging the truth.

Regards,
Alan
==============================
Alan, that $2002 is just for parts, labor is considered free.  If I wanted
to I could probably build a killer Neon for just such an event.  I paid $500
for a well used Neon and I could easily sell over $500 worth of
"unneccessary" parts (like the airbags & stock sway bars) off of it, but per
the Challenge rules I can only recoup as much money as I initially had in
the car, in my case $500.

That would leave me with a full $2002 still to spend on parts.  I could
"sell" myself the old set of Kumhos that I have in the basement for $100 and
could put a warmed over junkyard 2.4 liter Stratus or PT Cruiser engine with
a turbo in it for about a grand.  I could also "sell" myself a lot of
suspension parts from my personal collection for dirt cheap.  Are you
getting the picture yet?

Of course there is the "claimer" rule which says that one can claim
another's car for $2002.  Parts wise that wouldn't hurt so much but the
hours of labor would of course all be lost.  :^(

I think there'll always be a few folks who fudge the rules but the general
spirit of the event is to be on one's best honor with regards to the rules
esxactly like our beloved Solo events.  I also think there's some sort of
"gentleman's agreement" that would prevent most folks from ever actually
invoking the claimer rule.

Hmmm, will there be a $2003 challenge in 2003 Per??  Perhaps I better get
started early.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T (see-dan)
1995 Plymouth Sport Coupe (coop)