Re: $2002 Challenge - not really

To: autox@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: $2002 Challenge - not really
From: "James Laukaitis" <jim5@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:17:09 -0500
Listers,

<hop on soapbox>
      Sorry if this a little late, I am on digest. I am hoping to run a car
next year, maybe. What gets me though is that labor is free, and well it
should be, but when you have an entire car club enter a car, -that just
kills my chances entirely. For the first time ever, I am going to weld
floorboards and sills, break down and rebuild the carburettor, brake
system, clutch, and replace the rear axle. That is all I can afford, and
with such lofty aspirations, I don't think it is ever going to fly. I
already know I don't have a snowball's chance in hell against an entire car
club entering a car. The challenge is a good showcase for homegrown,
grassroots efforts, but it already seems that the little guy is being
pushed out. I mean one of the guys in my car club owns his own garage, he
should be entering in challenge, not me.He has the space, the resource for
parts, etc. My problem is I found a friend who knows welding, is willing to
help, and even do it in his own heated garage, I have to figure out how I
am going to cut the floor boards out of my car, and then get it to his
house. My friend has to figure out when he has the time. Actually he just
doesn't have it at all. A car club has to figure out when can they all get
together, and then who will be the lucky ones driving, etc. I wish there is
a way to categorize this kind of a thing better. That would end up in too
much red tape, paperwork, or both, -something a grassroots guy doesn't want
to do. I could go on and on, about parts and sources, about free things
(thats the only reason I'm even here though, because a friend gave me the
car for free), reporting the value of parts, and other things, but I am
still glad something like this takes place. I guess what I really should be
doing is working on the car and heeding the old adage, "stop whining."
<hop off soapbox>

Thanks for the rant space,

Jim Laukaitis
'67 BGT