Re: modifying OEM shocks

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com (Evolution Discussion)
Subject: Re: modifying OEM shocks
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:46:30 EST
As someone who works in the metal fab business, no hole drilling is required.
 You just put the shock body in a lathe and cut the shock open along the
original weld seam, then weld it up along the same seam.  Opening up any
shock can easily be made to look OEM by any halfway decent metal fabricator.

Orifice flow can be greatly affected by whether the leading edge is sharp or
gently rounded.  Proving anything would be purely subjective.  Measuring very
small orifices will require controlled-temperature conditions and very
exacting, calibrated measurement tools.

Heat treating and other methods can impact disc deflection, as can a slight
tightening/loosening of the disc pack which would be hard to detect.
Measuring slight variations in parobolic disc curvature is not easily
obtained.

Internal gas pressure can be determined, but relative to what tolerance spec?
 How do we differentiate between intentional pressure reduction and leaking
gas seals?

IMO a simple visual inspection alone will not be sufficient to detect cheater
shocks.  Trying to establish tolerances for mechanical measurement on the
wide variety of OEM applications is not within the realm of reality.
Enforcement of OEM-only shock rules has already proven to be unworkable
within our own club.  Why are people trying to lead us down a path that our
club already knows will lead to a dead end?

Finally, several of the key promotors of the OEM-only shock proposal are
quick to point out that members of the SEB are involved in the aftermarket
shock industry, yet remain quite silent on their own extensive involvement
with the OEM's.

Mark Sipe