[evolution-disc.] Re: modifying OEM shocks

To: "INTERNET:TeamZ06@aol.com" <TeamZ06@aol.com>
Subject: [evolution-disc.] Re: modifying OEM shocks
From: Rob Foley <RobertJFoley@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:59:09 -0500
This is all 100% technically correct, and I can say that as a P.E. with
fluids and flow knowledge.  I'm staying away from the secret handshake
stuff at the end that I have deleted in the reply text re-post,  but
really, does anyone think that given the possibilities and potential
performance improvement, that someone out there wouldn't do something?  And
just like everybody with a Z06 ran to get Koni 28's and Penskes, there'd be
a stampede on attempted tweaks like these in one manner or another.

Rob

Message text written by INTERNET:TeamZ06@aol.com

As someone who works in the metal fab business, no hole drilling is
required.
 You just put the shock body in a lathe and cut the shock open along the
original weld seam, then weld it up along the same seam.  Opening up any
shock can easily be made to look OEM by any halfway decent metal
fabricator.

Orifice flow can be greatly affected by whether the leading edge is sharp
or
gently rounded.  Proving anything would be purely subjective.  Measuring
very
small orifices will require controlled-temperature conditions and very
exacting, calibrated measurement tools.

Heat treating and other methods can impact disc deflection, as can a slight

tightening/loosening of the disc pack which would be hard to detect.
Measuring slight variations in parobolic disc curvature is not easily
obtained.

Internal gas pressure can be determined, but relative to what tolerance
spec?
 How do we differentiate between intentional pressure reduction and leaking

gas seals?

IMO a simple visual inspection alone will not be sufficient to detect
cheater
shocks.  Trying to establish tolerances for mechanical measurement on the
wide variety of OEM applications is not within the realm of reality.
Enforcement of OEM-only shock rules has already proven to be unworkable
within our own club.  Why are people trying to lead us down a path that our

club already knows will lead to a dead end?