Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: modifying OEM shocks

To: awhollis@swbell.net, evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: modifying OEM shocks
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:32:23 EST
In a message dated 3/11/02 10:09:46 PM Central Standard Time,
awhollis@swbell.net writes:

> That said, I don't think we should go OEM-only, but its for a different
> reason having nothing to do with enforcement.

My post was only intended to address a portion of the argument proposing
OEM-only shocks, rather than address a lengthy diatribe point by point.
Enforcement of shock absorbers & struts will not be as simple as engine
issues you use as examples.  First, most people would see engine tweaks you
mention as not being worthwhile relative to any run time improvement.
Second, the aspect that will drive cheater OEM-shocks will be the perception
that other people are doing such and not being caught then it becomes a
necessary evil to keep up with the competition.  Third, it's a lot easier to
change out the shocks than open up an engine.

Finally, you briefly mention ECU software (computers) as an example of easy
enforcement, yet when is the last time anyone go into the shed for
enforcement on this?  None in recent history that I can recall.  IMO, the
reality is few if any competitors know how to address or enforce this, to the
point that nobody files against it.  A lack of protests does not imply
enforcement, no more than it implies a lack of compliance.  The truth is we
don't really know where we stand on this.

Recall a certain twin turbo SP vehicle that some competitors thought was
illegally boosted.  Several attempts to check for compliance ended up with
the enforcers shrugging their shoulders with a "I dunno, I can't tell what's
what" mumble.  Yet proponents expect to cut apart OEM shocks on the spot and
decipher the internals with ease.  You danced around the club racing verdict
on this subject with a "nothing is impossible" comment.  If enforcement is so
easy, why did they ultimately concede on this subject when their resources
are greater than Solo2?  I have never intended to say or imply that it was
impossible, just that we don't want to go there.

Mark Sipe