Re: Neat sticker removal tool

To: <bluemr2@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Neat sticker removal tool
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:33:59 -0600
> If you're too cheap to buy a cool removal device like that:  :-)
> Stick the sticker to your jeans (or a cotton shirt) a couple times, then
> stick to car :-)  It'll still stick, but won't glue itself to the car.
> (hopefully you keep the car waxed really well to help too!)  How long
> will it stay on, IDK...  Works great for those events where the
> organizers spring the unexpected surprise of a new sticker on you when
> you've left your scissors and magnetic at home!!!  :-)  If anyone tries
> it long term, I'd like to hear the results!

My toolbox has a pair of scissors in it -- useful so often it is hard to
imagine any serious competitor without one.

The collection of various liquids I always carry (Brakleen, WD-40, etc.)
includes a small bottle of liquid wax.

Additionally, I carry rolls of  Scotch Plastic Tape in both narrow and wide
widths, yellow and blue, the colors of my car. The blue is dead-on, and the
yellow slightly more intense, to my paint. Scotch Plastic Tape has an
adhesive that sticks well but comes off easily and nearly always without
pulling paint. As for that "surprise" sticker -- and I do this every year
with the Solo II Nationals sticker -- I don't take off the backing paper but
instead frame it in Scotch Plastic Tape of a color matching the car
background. The stuff is also super for when you need to change or create a
car number on the spot. The wide version is 1.5 inches, which just happens
to be the rulebook number stroke mandate.

That Chizler tool took off vinyl numbers cleanly that had been on the car ~3
years.

--Rocky