Re: Boat gas tank

To: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Boat gas tank
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:59:30 -0600
What may be giving the tech inspector pause is that, in road racing, a
proper fuel cell meeting FIA FT-3 (or higher) specifications is required,
and most Prepared cars are to outward appearance road racing cars. He
probably expects to find a fuel cell in your car. Or the stock tank.

HOWEVER (and whether I agree with it or not), Prepared has its own ruleset
in the Solo II rulebook and that ruleset does NOT mandate any FIA (or any
other) specifications. The way I read 15.2.O in the Solo II book, you could
plumb a gas can from Kmart and call it your fuel tank, as long as it meets
specifications for its location, it is safely and securely mounted, said
installation results in no modification to the car for any other purpose,
and haven't vented breathers into the driver compartment (which would be
really dumb anyway!).

This, of course, assumes your car is set up to the Solo II rulebook. If,
instead, you have set up your car to the GCR (as mine is), then you should
have to have the GCR-legal fuel cell (as mine does) according to GCR Section
19. You cannot mix elements from the two rulebooks. If yours is NOT a
GCR-rules car, then that boat tank oughta be just fine as long as it is
legally located/installed.

--Rocky Entriken