Re: R-compound comparison?

To: "AutoX" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: R-compound comparison?
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:00:53 -0700
I've tried to convince friends new to autocross to stick with the Kuhmo
Victoracer V700's if they are concerned about longevity and want R's.  In 3
cases they ignored my advice, two went with Toyo's and one with the Yoko's
(technically one went with a Yoko's THEN went to Toyo's---yes a double
loser).  I have no idea what this says about my friends respect (or lack
there of) for my opinions.   I got to say I told you so to both of them.

If you're on a budget and want R's, the Victoracer is THE tire.  You will be
disappointed with the others and the wear won't be that different.

Now if cost is a serious consideration, what about Falken Azenis RS's???
They are a cheap street tire if they are available in your size and I bet
they would hold up rather well in a direct comparison with the Toyo's in
terms of autocross grip.

BTW-Beware of drawing too much out of the treadwear numbers.  The Falken's
are 200's,  but wear seems to fall short of other 140-200 tires.  The OEM
tires on my Dakota were 340's yet the mileage universally on those Badyears
across my fellow club members trucks has been extremely short.

Also don't assume a high number means no grip.  The BFG KD's have a very
high number due to the silca tread compoun, but have great grip for a street
tire.

Steve Ekstrand
CalClub
Autocross newbie/drag racer
with 26 (fairly BIG) tires stacked up in the garage