I need a price check on tires, and some advice

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: I need a price check on tires, and some advice
From: redraevyn@softhome.net
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:15:28 -0600
Right now I've got a pair of 16x7 Kvnig's on my 88 Jetta GLi.   They are
booted with a pair of 205/45ZR/16 Kumho Supra Ecsta's, W rated.... which is
absolutely absurd considering I use them only for street driving.  Anyway,
the point is, freshly rotated my fronts have 4/32 and the rear have 2.
Thank god I work with a mechanic so I can put off buying new tires for a
little bit longer anyway.    So what I want to know are two things -

1.) How cheap can I find tires? I was thinking that maybe some of you racers
sell them before they're bunk but after they're new - meaning cheap :D

2.) What kind of tire can I go to without having a huge performance loss?  I
know we all pretend we drive at the limit all the time and keep the racing
off the street... but I love driving fast on abandoned roads, and cornering
is my favorite part of driving, so I've been absolutely loving these tires.
Would I even notice going to a 50 or 55 profile?  How much would it change
to get a lower rating?

Oh yes, and a third question - what is that first number anyway?  I'm
guessing the width?

Thanks a lot...
~Red~