Re: I need a price check on tires, and some advice

To: <redraevyn@softhome.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I need a price check on tires, and some advice
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:15:50 -0400
> Right now I've got a pair of 16x7 Kvnig's on my 88 Jetta GLi.   They are
> booted with a pair of 205/45ZR/16 Kumho Supra Ecsta's, W rated....

If they are 205/45ZR/16, then they are Z rated, not W.

> which is
> absolutely absurd considering I use them only for street driving.

Why is this absurd?

> 1.) How cheap can I find tires? I was thinking that maybe some of you
racers
> sell them before they're bunk but after they're new - meaning cheap :D

Racers are notoriously cheap, and therefore generally our tires have no life
left.  I have a nasty habit of running tires until the air is almost
showing.  I consider a cord my clue to start shopping.

> 2.) What kind of tire can I go to without having a huge performance loss?
> know we all pretend we drive at the limit all the time and keep the racing
> off the street... but I love driving fast on abandoned roads, and
cornering
> is my favorite part of driving, so I've been absolutely loving these
tires.
> Would I even notice going to a 50 or 55 profile?  How much would it change
> to get a lower rating?

The Kumho 712 is a really good tire for the price.  It will be hard to beat.
You can find cheaper, but if you like driving, then anything cheaper will
likely be disapointing.  Every once in a while you can find some great tires
on clearance at Tirerack.  I got a set of Bridgestone RE71's in a 195/50/15
for $47 each when they discontinued them.

> Oh yes, and a third question - what is that first number anyway?  I'm
> guessing the width?

Yes, width.
205 - 205 mm wide
45 - Sidewall is 45% of the width.  205 x .45 = 92mm sidewalls
Z - Speed Rating
R - Radial Construction
16 - Rim Diameter in inches