re: Airbags

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Airbags
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:47:30 -0400 (EDT)
Knuckledragger wrote:
> As an aside, what are folks' major beefs with airbags?  Seriously.

   I was in a crash in an explosive-equipped Nissan.  My only
( minor ) injuries were due to the explosion.  Due to the cost of the
explosives, the car which was otherwise easily and affordably repairable,
was totalled.

   It was my wife's favorite car, and she still busts my chops about
missing it.

   That's just personal experience.

   The facts are that frontal airbags are only beneficial to belted
occupants in a very small minority of crashes.  The rest of the time, they
are detrimental, causing additional injuries and even death.

        http://www.motorists.org/issues/airbags/airbags_optional2.html

   The best that airbag proponents can claim is about 30:1 save/kill
ratio.  Realistically, 15:1 is more accurate, and half of those were
unbelted drunks.  That isn't an acceptable ratio for a mandated safety
device.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com