re: Airbags

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>,
Subject: re: Airbags
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:46:08 -0500
Yeah, but that is the trick isn't it?  The numbers/risk game.  If your
accident had been one of those "very small minority" type, you would be
singing a different tune.  (The fact that you would be singing at all would
be reward enough.)  No one ever claimed air bags will keep you safe at all
times, coddling you in comfy softness at the nearest hint of danger every
minute of you commute.  What they do is save lives in those small percentage
situations.  Besides, how can you so sure that your air bag did'nt prevent
serious injury or death in your accident?  Just because it was low speed?
Just something to think about.  I personally will accept the risk for the
benefit.

>    The facts are that frontal airbags are only beneficial to belted
> occupants in a very small minority of crashes.  The rest of the time, they
> are detrimental, causing additional injuries and even death.
>
>       http://www.motorists.org/issues/airbags/airbags_optional2.html

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer