re: Airbags

To: Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: re: Airbags
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:03:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Patrick Washburn wrote:
> Yeah, but that is the trick isn't it?  The numbers/risk game.  If your
> accident had been one of those "very small minority" type, you would be
> singing a different tune.  (The fact that you would be singing at all would
> be reward enough.)

   No, it wouldn't, that's the point.  It is not acceptable to kill ( not
"not save", but kill ) one person for every dozen or so saved.

> No one ever claimed air bags will keep you safe at all times, coddling
> you in comfy softness at the nearest hint of danger every minute of you
> commute.

   This is water under the bridge now, but yes they did.  Joan Claybrook,
for one, has claimed that ( first generation ) airbags are the best
protection for *unbelted* children.

        "I don't think there is any question in my mind that there is any
        better restraint device put on the unrestrained child".

   That kind of negligence is criminal, unless you are a government
employee.

> What they do is save lives in those small percentage
> situations.  Besides, how can you so sure that your air bag did'nt prevent
> serious injury or death in your accident?  Just because it was low speed?

   I didn't even stretch the belts.  I've also been in a very similar
crash without an airbag.  I was fine, and the car was fixed.  You figure
it out.

> Just something to think about.  I personally will accept the risk for the
> benefit.

   And you should have that right.  But I should have the right not to
play that particular lottery.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com