Re: Tire Warming

To: "James Libecco" <libeccj@ccf.org>, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Tire Warming
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:06:59 -0600
If I was going to shade my tires from the hot sun, I would put a cover on
only the width of the tread and allow the sides, wheels, and hubs to allow
them to ventilate.  A great deal of heat transfers to the tire from these
sources.  I found that watering down my wheels, brake disks and uprights did
much more to cool my R25a's than just squirting water on the tire tread.

I get your point though...I just don't have an answer. Just get a bunch
people to stand around your car in strategic locations.  :)

> How about tire cooling.  I often cover the tires on my mod car in the
summer.  Hoosier R25a's get way to gooey in the summer with two drivers.
It's not uncommon for the last couple of runs to be totally useless as the
tires feel like someone smeared vasoline across them.  How would shades be
interpreted?  How much distance would I be required to keep the shade away
from the tire so as to not be thought of as a tire WARMING device?

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI