RE: Dealership Warranty Issues with Autocrossing.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dealership Warranty Issues with Autocrossing.
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:01:59 -0800
> At 11:13 PM -0600 11/15/02, Christopher Hammond wrote:
> >Just last week I went to a dealership and asked them if I
> purchased a
> >new car from them and autocrossed it if they would have any warranty
> >problems with it, to which their response was, no they
> wouldn't have a
> >problem.
>
> They'll all say that until you drive off the lot with that shiny new
> car that just helped them make their sales quota for the month. Bring
> it in for that first oil change and you'll get a different story.

Verbal agreements (especially during the sales process!) are worthless.
Get it in writing.  Just type up a quick "Smith's Honda Dealership
understands that this car will be autocrossed in SCCA autocross events,
and this will not affect the warranty in any way" note, and have them
sign it.  You can even throw them a bone and make it clear you're not
trying to take advantage of *them* by adding a "However, any
participation in wheel-to-wheel racing events will have the normal
impact on the warranty" clause.

Technically, you'd probably want the sales manager (or, better yet, an
officer of the company) to do so, but even if you've just got a
run-of-the-mill salesperson's signature on something like that I'd say
you'd have quite a bit more leverage if they ever tried to give you a
hard time.

Also, as rapid as turnover is in car sales, be sure to grab the business
card of whoever signs it and staple it to the signed agreement so they
can't play "I never heard of this guy."

(IANAL, all that other stuff).

Cheers
-b