Dealership Warranty Issues with Autocrossing.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Dealership Warranty Issues with Autocrossing.
From: "Christopher Hammond" <christoc@christoc.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:13:16 -0600
I just wanted to bring up a topic, that some people may have to worry
about, others will not.

This message is a cross post, so I apologize if you receive it multiple
times, it can also be found at

http://www.solo2.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic
<http://www.solo2.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000830>
&f=1&t=000830

I have been informed that a local St. Louis dealership has told one of
this site's (solo2.org) visitors that they are voiding his warranty
because he autocrosses. I would have to assume he had a Solo2.org
sticker on his car at the time he took the car in for service. Here are
some of my opinions, and questions on this topic.

The stress put on a car in autocross is not greater than that put on a
car driven daily on the street. The fact that we choose to drive hard on
a parking lot mystifies some, but not others. The dealers I have dealt
with have never said a word to me about my car, even when I went in with
a full set of decals on the car that would be a dead giveaway that I
autocrossed the car.

Just last week I went to a dealership and asked them if I purchased a
new car from them and autocrossed it if they would have any warranty
problems with it, to which their response was, no they wouldn't have a
problem.

I am not a lawyer, and have no law experience myself, but would have to
think that a dealer should have to be able to prove a few things, even
if they found results with your name online.

What clause is in their warranty to justify the voiding of your
warranty?

Prove that the car being serviced was actually autocrossed. What is
there to say that you weren't autocrossing someone else's car that was
out of warranty that was just happens to be the same model as yours?

Is there any legal precedence on this? Anything anyone nationally has
done to stop a dealer from doing this?

Sorry that I cross posted this message, I know that this topic has been
covered before, but I haven't followed it closely. Any of you who have
any legal experience, your opinions would be highly prized!

I must thank everyone that has a Solo2.org sticker on their car. I give
this stickers out for free, so if you ever have to take your car in for
service and feel like you should remove the sticker before doing so,
please do, I can always provide you more stickers! I cannot however be
held responsible if you do not remove the sticker and a dealer has
issues. I thank you all for your support, without you the site wouldn't
be what it has become!

Chris Hammond

www.solo2.org